These were railroad tunnels now retired and of 27 original tunnels 3 are still somewhat passable today. A number of these tunnels were bypassed during a wholesale elimination period between 1961 and 1963 including No.24. Now responsible four wheelers are able to enjoy and the area for it's beautiful landscape and history. No. 24 is the most popular. They were built to last but nature always takes her toll and all of man’s creations eventually fall into ruin. No. 24 was completed around 1880 and is lined with stone and arched in brick, thousands of bricks. In fact, the bricks are several layers thick so lots and lots of brick laying was done upside down on the ceiling in a dark tunnel before electric lights.
Nemo, meaning “no one” in Latin, was once a sizable town and was where the two railroads met prior to 1940. This is still an active route for the Cincinnati, New Orleans and Texas Pacific Railway. There trains on this track come frequently so be careful and stay away from the tracks as they appear suddenly out of the tunnel. Water depth inside the tunnel varies through the seasons and can get up to about a foot deep before it crests in the middle. For those who make it out in tact they can reflect on local history and life on the railroads.
Here are a few pictures from the trip contributed by club member Jonanthan Plaza